Merlin's Academy for Excellence
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to inactivity, Merlin's Academy is no longer a Harry Potter RP site. It is being used for CASUAL, CLEAN RP of ANY TOPIC among friends. If you wish to join, however, please feel free; we would love to make new friends. Thanks to everyone who made MAE what it was before, and we wish you all lots of love and a great life up ahead. <3

~Lor, Mads, Lyd, and Mel~
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to inactivity, Merlin's Academy is no longer a Harry Potter RP site. It is being used for CASUAL, CLEAN RP of ANY TOPIC among friends. If you wish to join, however, please feel free; we would love to make new friends. Thanks to everyone who made MAE what it was before, and we wish you all lots of love and a great life up ahead. <3

~Lor, Mads, Lyd, and Mel~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Site Time

~Month: September~

Year: 2017

~Season: Autumn~

Important Info
LINKS

• MAE Rules
  • Hex Colour Codes
  • Character Applications
  • Claims Center
  • Jobs

• CHARACTERS NEEDED

None at the moment

Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
    AuthorMessage

Aria Song

Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care  Empty
    PostSubject: Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care    Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care  EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 7:45 pm

Aria had pushed for this lesson to happen and she was not going to be deterred no matter what other people said. And once she got the greenlight from the Headmaster she was read to run with it. She figured that charts and videos, meant nothing, if not giving her students a feel for what it was like to take care of a baby.

Her classroom today had been modeled to take after the setting. Each desk would charm itself into a crib once a student sat down, and she would make sure to explain basic baby care before surprising them. She smiled gleefully at the idea of babies. Who didn't like babies? She briefly imagined that she would be a good mother, having a nurturing attitude, and genuinely doing her best to try. Shaking her head, she smiled softly and waited for people to arrive.
    Back to top Go down

Lilliana Noel

PostSubject: Re: Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care    Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care  EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 10:47 pm

One of her most favourite things about her course was the number of students: there weren't as many as some of the others, which meant she did not have to interact with so many people. She had not attended the first lesson because of a bad timed prophecy and ministry visit, but she had told herself she was not going to miss another one, and, with Bella following beside her, Lilliana made her way over to the Hospital Wing, bag hanging over her shoulder.

Professor Aria was someone she honestly liked, although she had never really had a conversation with the older witch before. Intuition, Lily claimed, and it was true; her instincts were usually quite spot on. Maybe it was part of her abilities, or maybe it was just her. Whatever the case, Lily enjoyed being in the classes.

Entering the room, she smiled at her Professor, secretly glad to note she was the first one there. "Good morning," she said softly, sliding into a seat in the front row. Taking out her writing materials and notebooks, she laid them carefully on the table and folded her arms gently on her lap, waiting for the lesson to begin.
    Back to top Go down
    Joe Astrid
    Joe Astrid
    Healer In-Training
    Healer In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care    Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care  EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 3:17 pm

Really, Joe was taking a stab in the dark here. He was an only child, and Joe had seldom been trusted to take care of his cousins when he was younger, so the young man had just about as much experience as someone in his position might be expected to have. He didn't see the harm in trying, though; as someone very enthusiastic about the thought of having kids in the future, Joe figured he'd at least test the waters of the class. What could go wrong?

The former Hufflepuff strolled into the room, nodding courteously at the witch at the front of the room. His cheeks were still fading from the soft pink hue they'd taken on, the young man having accidentally overslept by five minutes. It wasn't much, but it put his entire morning routine out of whack and he left the flat two whole minutes after he usually did.

Not that hit made a difference, Joe was usually stupidly early, but it put his mind at lease to be so.

The brunet took a seat, smiling a greeting at his classmate before shrugging his bag off his shoulder and it landed with a barely audible thud. He took out a notepad and a pen and looked to the door, wondering who else might join them.
    Back to top Go down
    Tess Holmes
    Tess Holmes
    Healer In-Training
    Healer In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care    Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care  EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 1:06 am

Tess slowly walked to class, not really looking forward to this class. Conception to birth...what exactly did that entail? Did she have to see people give birth? That didn't seem like a good idea in her book. Children always seemed like foreign little beings that asked for so much that she couldn't give.  Shuddering slightly at the thought of the screams that they were able to emit, she sighed and knew that she could power through. She knew how babies were made, she knew the basics of birth, the pushing and stuff. But as she walked to the classroom she knew that she could power through. How hard could it get?

Pushing the door of the classroom, she noticed that there were two people already in there. Seeing one was Lilliana she waved slightly before sitting away. She wanted to try and power through. So sitting down, she smiled slightly and looked at the professor that seemed friendly enough. What's the worse that could happen?
    Back to top Go down

Aria Song

PostSubject: Re: Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care    Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care  EmptyMon Jan 12, 2015 9:10 pm

Only three students decided to take the class, but at least it was better than nothing. Smiling brightly she promised herself she would instill whatever knowledge she could to these young people about parenting, the process of dealing with pregnancy if female, and what men should expect when they become fathers. It was a perfectly logical for them to take the class, in fact anyone who ever thought about taking a family should have, but it seemed that only three would be attending at this point. No problem, no teams. Figuring she should start she got up from her seat and walked to the front.

"Welcome to Conception to Birth, my name is Aria Song, and you may call me Aria if you'd like. I am glad to see you here, if not because of healing, because maybe you will one day become parents and be able to enjoy the developmental stages of pregnancy, and more importantly, giving birth. Now who is thinking about being a parent, or getting into the birthing wing of a hospital?" she waited patiently. "Anyways, today I'd like for you to take out a parchment of paper and just write to me what you think is important about babies. What they need, what you can provide and what makes a good parent/healer. Then if I can have a volunteer?"
    Back to top Go down

Lilliana Noel

PostSubject: Re: Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care    Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care  EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 11:37 pm

Two other students arrived, one of which was Tess, and she smiled softly at the witch. The other she had never met before, but he didn't seem too bad; she greeted him with a slight nod of the head, and then smiled to herself as she noticed he, too, was using pens and not quills. Maybe one of these days I'll get to talking with him. But she was far too shy to do so during class, and so instead turned her attention back to the Professor as she began to speak.

It felt weird, calling a Professor by the first name, but at the same time, it was a nice change. They seemed so much more personal, more friendly, here, and she liked that. Quite honestly, she wasn't sure what she wanted to do in terms of working, but when Pr..- Aria.. mentioned working in a birthing section, something in her mind went ding and she raised her hand tentatively. "I may work with babies," she said, so softly it was entirely possible that only she heard.

As the instructions came, her face lit up. Writing down her thoughts was so much easier than having to speak them, and reading what she wrote was nothing she wasn't use to. Immediately following instructions, she skipped over the quill in her bag and instead went for her favourite pen - while they had been told to use parchments and not notebooks, no mention of writing materials meant that she could use whatever she wanted.

Babies are important because they are our future. She winced at the word choice, but there was no other way to describe it. Ignoring it for the time being, she continued. That is to say, they represent the witches and wizards who will be filling the earth after we are gone. As such, they require proper upbringing and love, so that we do not leave a bunch of selfish, corrupted people when we die. They represent a chance to change the world.

Smiling slightly, she moved on to the second part. Babies require constant feeding of milk - usually the mothers'. They also require changing of diapers, and bathing about 3 times a week. Cuddling is another thing, because they need human touch. All these things we, as Healers, can provide, except for mothers' milk - substitutes can be used, but only if truly needed. All this she knew from experience, from when her parents had her twin brothers. Although she had been 4, she had still helped (somewhat), even if just standing there, handing tissue or cloths to her parents. A good parent and Healer is gentle. They care, genuinely, and they have love. Even if the baby or child is not theirs, they still love, and care, and sacrifice, as though it were their own. And, I don't mean the type of love where if they break the law, you lie for them - the kind of love where, even though it hurts you, and them, you love them enough to do what is right and what would make them a better person.

Stopping herself there, she let out a sigh. It made sense to her, but would others understand? Waiting a few moments, she looked up, towards her Professor, and then slowly raised her hand. If nobody was going to volunteer, she was. Now all that was left was to be called on.
    Back to top Go down
    Tess Holmes
    Tess Holmes
    Healer In-Training
    Healer In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care    Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care  EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 9:46 pm

Tess sighed as she heard the professor speak. She seemed nice enough, overall cheery disposition, but the topic just didn't interest her enough to find it engaging. Babies for her were wild cards, never being able to follow a set of rules, never being able to just be quiet when needed. Her Dragon baby was so polite, always in her cage, and at the stables it would behave wonderfully. But it was because beasts made sense where babies were needy. Even her baby dragon needing to be fed every thirty minutes behaved better than some babies she'd seen. Also, they were ugly, and pink, and tremble and whine and smell awful.

Shuddering slightly, she most definitely did not raise her hand about wanting to work with babies. She'd probably have a breakdown. Plus, if she wanted to work with babies she'd be in a marriage right now having her own. Definitely not a life for her.

"Anyways, today I'd like for you to take out a parchment of paper and just write to me what you think is important about babies. What they need, what you can provide and what makes a good parent/healer. Then if I can have a volunteer?"

Taking out parchment, she began to write what she knew about babies.

Babies are dependent on the parent or guardian. Unlike animals they are not able to support their heads or be able to move away from prey. They are the weakest form of infants in the animal world. They tend to depend heavily on wails. They are also very slow in cognitive development in the first months, lacking actual personality, gross motor and emotional development in later stages.

Babies need to be fed, form proper attachment, and have a healthy emotional environment. The basic pyramid of need is what lies in the basis of their survival. If fed, coddled and properly interacted with, it will succeed in making a healthy individual.

Gross, pink, and not at all something she wanted to deal with if she were quite honest with herself.
    Back to top Go down

Aria Song

PostSubject: Re: Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care    Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care  EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 10:58 pm

As they all began to write, Aria walked around waiting patiently. She was excited to see them all begin just jotting down their ideas and trying to be as eloquent as possible. She decided not to collect it till the end of the class, she figured it was about time that they just got their assignment. Feeling a bit giddy about giving them the project she wanted to just jump in. Leaning against her desk, she hopped up and sat there. Smiling brightly she clapped her hands trying to get their attention.

"Now, I'm glad to see you all looking excited about working with babies. I wish I could say that we can take it slow and integrate you into knowing more about babies...but that's not how you learn to be a parent, or to properly have childcare."

Snapping her fingers the desks slowly formed themselves into cribs. Smiling brightly slowly a small baby began to form, tied tightly in a colored blanket of pink or blue. They looked perfectly realistic, like newborns, and were ready to have their baby.

"For my class, from now until I feel that you've learned how to give proper care to a child, you will have a charmed child. They will ask to be fed, bathed, and form attachments like any other real baby would. The only difference is that they aren't real. You can't kill the baby...but like real babies they don't have an off switch." she smiled brightly. "Any questions?"
    Back to top Go down

Aria Song

PostSubject: Re: Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care    Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care  EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 11:40 pm

Class Closed:

Grades -

Astrid, Joe: Acceptable. You are so quiet Mr. Astrid, and I can only think of this being because it's a female majority class. I hope you understand that I ask for your input even if you do not know much. I hope that you try harder for the next lesson Mr. Astrid. Still your enthusiasm was clear.

Holmes, Tess:Exceeds Expectations. You Miss Holmes have an...interesting view of children. While the academics are there, you lack the heart that I wish to have everyone in my class have. Still your facts are right, and I hope this enchanted assignment changes you.

Noel, Lilliana: Outstanding. You have the heart, the brains, and the enthusiasm for this classroom and it is a pleasure to have you in this classroom. I cannot wait to see how you take on this adventure, for it will not be easy.
    Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care    Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care  Empty

Back to top Go down

Conception to Birth Lesson 1 & 2: Baby Care

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
    Page 1 of 1