Merlin's Academy for Excellence
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to inactivity, Merlin's Academy is no longer a Harry Potter RP site. It is being used for CASUAL, CLEAN RP of ANY TOPIC among friends. If you wish to join, however, please feel free; we would love to make new friends. Thanks to everyone who made MAE what it was before, and we wish you all lots of love and a great life up ahead. <3

~Lor, Mads, Lyd, and Mel~
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to inactivity, Merlin's Academy is no longer a Harry Potter RP site. It is being used for CASUAL, CLEAN RP of ANY TOPIC among friends. If you wish to join, however, please feel free; we would love to make new friends. Thanks to everyone who made MAE what it was before, and we wish you all lots of love and a great life up ahead. <3

~Lor, Mads, Lyd, and Mel~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Site Time

~Month: September~

Year: 2017

~Season: Autumn~

Important Info
LINKS

• MAE Rules
  • Hex Colour Codes
  • Character Applications
  • Claims Center
  • Jobs

• CHARACTERS NEEDED

None at the moment

Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
    Go to page : Previous  1, 2
    AuthorMessage
    Parker Emery
    Parker Emery
    Healer In-Training
    Healer In-Training

Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 1:32 pm

Out of all his classes, Parker was most excited for healing potions. As much as he enjoyed and was ready to learn about other aspects of healing, potions was something he had a natural leaning towards since his first year at Hogwarts. There was something about it that was intensely satisfying, whether or not he was able to get it perfect. Potions required a lot more work than most other subjects, so being able to have a tangible, usable product when finished felt great.

But he knew potions here would be on an entirely different level - probably much more difficult, with a lot less in depth instructions. He wondered if at any point they would be experimenting with their own brews… and just the idea of it made him even more excited. He picked up his pace, but distracted by his thoughts he took a wrong turn somewhere once he was down in the dungeons and ended up getting himself lost.

Great.... On the first day of class… The absolute last thing he wanted was to walk in late to a huge classroom and make a terrible first impression, but things never did seem to go his way.

As he got more lost, Parker also got more upset. With himself - for not leaving earlier, for not being careful where he was going, for not really making any friends to go to class with. He stopped and raked both hands through his hair, taking a deep breath. He stood there for a few moments before resolving to trace his steps back, eventually finding his way to the appropriate classroom.

Class was already in full swing, so Parker made his way in as quietly as possible and took a seat randomly in the back. As he took out his quill and papers, he listened carefully to what the discussion was. Usually first lessons were introductory, but he hoped he didn’t miss anything too important.
    Back to top Go down
    Pyxis Wilson
    Pyxis Wilson
    Dragon Trainers In-Training
    Dragon Trainers In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2014 5:31 pm

The logical reaction to have when one realised that they were late to their class was panic, or to even perhaps hurry their steps. Some might even race through the halls in a desperate attempt to get there only a little bit later than they were supposed to - but Pyxis Wilson was, without fault, a woman who didn't care all that much about being a little late to class. That, and the idea of running made her feel like she was desperate, or something along those lines. It was embarrassing for everyone around her to know that she was late, so even if she hummed to herself in that nervous manner of hers, she continued to walk at an even pace.

With a fervent glance around her as she descended the steps into the dungeon, she noticed there was no one around to see her quicken her pace. Her fingers gripped tight to the fabric of her shirt, squeezing the material within her grasp as she evened out her breathing before stepping into the classroom. As quietly as she possibly could, she slipped into a seat right up the back, and conveniently beside someone she'd spent time with at the ball. He was the logical choice to befriend, after all - she knew him.

Sort of. They hadn't really spoken much, neither of them seeing a reason to. They hadn't had anything in common, had they? She'd not been the type to have many, if any friends at all, either. By the end of her seventh year, she could count the amount of people she cared about on a single finger, and even he wasn't her friend anymore.

She didn't really acknowledge Parker at first as she settled herself down and hoped the professor hadn't noticed her late arrival, but after a few moments, she cast a quick glance to the side at Parker.
    Back to top Go down

Mycroft Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 12:04 am

Mycroft was a man that tended to be pretty calm about most things. A type A personality? Oh of course, he demanded hard work, attempt and was highly organized, but for the most part he wasn't sensitive nor did he stress easily. Yet he realized in the midst of teaching that he was not happy about people getting there late. He bristled as he saw people enter, not one, but four entered late. One had the gall to sit beside his sister as he was close to him. His early friendly eyes, changed to hard steel and he cleared his throat.

"Good job Miss Semele, I appreciate you hitting the nail right on the head. That is a good reason that this potion has a flaw" he said then turned to his sister, "Equally correct Miss Holmes, that takes a bit more creativity to say, but indeed that works accurately as to why the potion is still not the sole reason to use the potion. Today you will be working on the potion, the first half here, and the second half at home. It will carry over as a homework assignment, if you pass the first part. So make sure you don't mess up."

Looking around, he couldn't help but let himself let  go of the subject. Taking a deep breath he decided to make a point.

"But first, I'd like to make a point. See I consider myself a fair person. A person that enjoys teaching people this subject, and enjoys talking about it. But I won't be wasting my time on people that arrive late. If you're early you're on time, if you're on time you're late, and if you're late, make sure that next time you don't show your face in my class" he said coldly, "I'm a man who made the effort to come here early, now what's your excuses?" he said looking at the four raising his brow. "Make sure it never happens again, because I'll be locking the door."

Turning his back to the class, he began to write everything out.

First Step: Taking out your copper cauldron (below you) you shall place a liter of water, and add one ladleful of coagulated green dragon blood into the cauldron at low heat.
    Second Step: Mix it well, till they have thinned out the coagulated blood, and let it simmer.
    Third Step: Crush a cup of fireflies in mortar and make sure that it's powdered finely, to it add a drop of honey and peppermint.
    Fourth Step: Once it boils, put the crushed items/paste into the cauldron and mix it well. Put the cauldron under high heat, and cover.
    Fifth Step: Carefully open the jar of ectoplasm and get a ladleful. Do NOT get it on your hands, it will affect your motor skills and will not be removed easily. A trip to the Hospital wing will be your homework.

First Half Done. If you have any questions come up and ask personally. If there are none, then just jump in and begin.
    Back to top Go down
    Melody Lovegood
    Melody Lovegood
    Potioneers In-Training
    Potioneers In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 3:55 am

Melody took out her cauldron and put it on low heat. She couldn't recall anything being said about choosing partners so she decided to get started. Thankfully the water and other ingredients had been placed close to the cauldron so she could get them out without much trouble. She was careful not to spill anything as she added the water and ladle full of coagulated green dragon blood.

The coagulated blood made the potion somewhat hard to stir though. It was like stirring though jelly she supposed, one of the differences being that she wouldn't dare eat it. After the blood thinned out, she moved onto crushing the fireflies in mortar. She checked the board briefly to make sure she hadn't missed something. She hadn't so she continued. A cup of fireflies in mortar were crushed into a fine powder before a drop of honey and peppermint was added.

Once the potion was boiled, she added in the paste and mixed it. She was curious as to what the second half was but knew not to get ahead of herself. The professor would tell them once everyone was done, hopefully without anyone having to go to the hospital wing.

After finishing the fourth instruction she was nervous as she opened the jar of ectoplasm. Thankfully she was able to get a ladle full out without spilling it and put the ectoplasm in a jar. With that done, she waited for the professor to tell her what she should do with the ectoplasm.

Last edited by Melody Lovegood on Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    Back to top Go down
    Brooke Astrid
    Brooke Astrid
    Professors
    Professors

PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 4:56 am

"Very good Miss.."he looked at his list, "Miss Walters, I appreciate your thoroughness, and are so far the bravest soul in this classroom."

She felt a blush touch her features and she fought against it, just managing to keep it under control. You won't think I'm very good when it comes to the practical, she mentally said, smiling at both the Professor and herself. As the man continued, she listened carefully, writing down notes as he spoke.

When he gave out the instructions, she felt her heart sink - a practical lesson was already taking way. This was not a good way to start - failing. Or at least, possibly failing. She reminded herself it may be an easy potion, like something a first year could do, although she knew that this was University, and nothing of that low a standard would be covered.

At Professor Holmes' warning, she nodded along with the others; although relieved it wasn't her in trouble, she felt sorry for the others. Once the steps had been written out, she copied it down neatly, making sure that it matched exactly; she had made a mistake of writing down the measurements wrong before and didn't want that to happen again. Watching the other students starts, she let out a sigh and removed the cauldron from below her desk before hesitating.

Reading the last few sentences again, she worked up her courage and stepped out from her space and made her way to the front, aware that there were other students watching her - as the first (and so far only) student to need to ask a question, she felt very self conscious. "Uhm, Professor? Sorry to disturb you, but uh, I was wondering if I.." she paused, wondering where she had been going with this. Why was it that when she needed it the most, her brain stopped working?

Taking a breath and switching route, she composed herself and tried a polite smile. "I mean, I thought you should know - potions is my weakest subject. It always has been, and it is only through a lot of help and a lot of luck that I passed my O.W.Ls and my N.E.W.Ts. I.. I do not mean it as an excuse, but I have never been able to get one done without a lot of help and a lot of guidance. And I don't wish to give you the impression that you are a bad Professor if I cannot do it, or that I am lazy." She stopped herself, and gave an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry, I'm ranting. What I mean to ask is, is there a way I can get extra classes or tutoring to make up for my lack of skill?"

Fidgeting nervously, mostly because she wasn't sure how the Professor would take it, she waited to hear his reply.
    Back to top Go down

Benjamin Watson

PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 1:40 am

Ben met the scorn of the professor with calculated neutrality. It wasn't that he felt affronted by the firm tone, or the threat. And he wasn't embarrassed, by any means. In truth, he could care less what his professors thought of him. And especially a first year one at that. Either he did the potions correctly, had the right answers for tests, or he did not. Their opinions meant very little as far as Ben reaching his goals, in the end.

When they were given instructions, Ben gave a look to the man next to him. With a slightly raised eyebrow, he wondered how the boy was going to get through a potions class of this caliber without help. Oh sure, Conner was great for manual labor - he'd been more than useful in Herbology, back at Hogwarts. But a brilliant mind? He was not. Giving it up for a lost cause, Ben grabbed his cauldron and set to work taking down the instructions. His journal was already filled with copious notes on his own experiments, so he simply flipped to a new page.

As he moved through the steps mentally, Ben was slightly impressed to find it was a potion he didn't know. He moved to, what he assumed was, the ingredients cabinet. He was not surprised to see the contents, though he was curious as to the filing system. Most professors would simply put things in alphabetical order, but this...Hmm. Curious. Grabbing what he needed, he returned to his seat to get working.

In no time, the water was sitting at a low heat, as Ben checked the harmless contents of the cauldron. The ladels provided in class always gave him pause, so he'd gotten in the habit of bringing his own. It was a standard unit of measurement, and one more piece of the puzzle that he could control. It was hard enough using a classroom cauldron, but the measurements...no, those had to be spot on. The coagulated blood wasn't something he was used to working with, since the last professor he had seemed to avoid it. Most potions called for the general blood, thick but still runny. This kind was like molasses in texture. He wondered what the difference was. Making a mental note to add it to his list, he moved on.

Crushing the flies was easy enough, as their exoskeleton wasn't very strong. The lights from their tail ends quickly dwindled under the pestle, but he could see the colored section of their bodies and they were ground into powder. The honey and peppermint were, no doubt, for taste. It would be needed, with so much blood in the mixture. With the mixture ready, he raised the temperature of the cauldron and watched, poised with the mortar, for the exact moment that the mixture began to boil. Pouring the fly mixture in and stirred. He covered it as needed, when he was satisfied with the mixture, and turned to the last step.

Ectoplasm. Strange ingredient. Rolling up his sleeves, he pulled on a pair of latex gloves. They weren't something most purebloods used - some shit about 'beneath them', and all that - but Ben had stumbled across them a few years ago, and hadn't turned back. They were an unassuming grey color, but allowed for more protection when needed. He scooped the correct amount into a glass jar, and waited for instructions.
    Back to top Go down
    Tess Holmes
    Tess Holmes
    Healer In-Training
    Healer In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 2:14 am

Tess noticed that people had come in, sadly one of them was Rhian and she almost felt bad for her friend. Almost. After all she had commuted from her flat while Rhian was so close to all her classes. She nudged her friend in amusement and as a greeting.

"Great timing, you missed him talking about himself and his greatness" she muttered before sitting up straighter.

A lot straighter actually as she noticed her neighbor arrive. Late. How delicious. A smile tugged her lip seeing that he sat down beside a boy. She'd seen him around the complex, always mumbling with some grocery bags, or down the stairs taking out the trash. Amusement all the more realizing this was Benjamin Watson's boyfriend. He was quite the looker too wasn't he? It was almost unfair. Almost. She tilted her head to take them both it, noticing how unfazed he was by her blatant staring.

Two people came in and distracted her. One of them being Parker. She smiled his way, for once a genuine smile and lowered her gaze to stare at the blond she'd never really seen before. But people came and went in her mind, and she didn't even get phased by it. But her eyes trailed back to her brother as he began to lecture. Harshly at that about the idea of being late. How cute.

'Ooo Mycey-poo has claws'Tess thought with some glee.

But as the potion instructions began to appear on the board, she began to take everything seriously. Potions were not something to joke around. Without a second thought, a cauldron was pulled up and heated. She made sure to put the exact amount. Looking at the pantry, she took the basket and began to put everything that would be needed in. Opening the large container of coagulated blood, she winced at the smell, the tangy metallic taste was nothing something she enjoyed. Taking the ladleful, she placed it in a large mason jar and sealed it so she could take it back to her desk. Next went the fireflies, taking a cupful, along with a sprig of peppermint, and some honey. Taking it back to her desk she began to work diligently.

She didn't even bother to look at Rhian, and it shouldn't have surprised her. Tess was someone that never talked during potions, instead she let her hands do the talking and showing her work. Taking the amount of dragon blood into the potion, she used the spoon to push the amount at the bottom and tried to mix it in well. The water took a weird look to it, and in no way was it appealing. She concentrated on the mortar instead, putting the fireflies and beginning to crush them. She hated insects so much, and the crunch was in no way satisfying. Throwing the sprig into the crushed powder, at least made it smell better. But once the honey was added, she knew that it would be harder. Instead she grabbed a smaller spoon and worked into created the paste properly.

Hearing the bubbling signaled her to begin to add the rest of the ingredients. Adding the paste, she began to mix it, huffing softly as it wasn't separating as easily as she wished. Stupid honey always tended to screw her over. Next came the interesting part. Ectoplasm. Walking over to the jars she picked one up and placed it in front of her. Gloves were pulled out her favorite ones; she was not about to cover herself in the residue that ghosts left. She shuddered at the thought. The glowing substance was not something she was used to. It was not a common ingredient, if at all, until her brother made it one. Picking up the ladle, she dipped it into the jar slowly and nearly gagged at the noise it made once it went inside. Shuddering softly, she tugged at the ladle to come back up and winced seeing the glowing substance dripping off. Shaking it slightly, she managed to get it as clean of a ladle as possible before dropping it into the potion. Mixing softly, she noticed that the color changed completely. From the dark green it turned to a weird glowing sea green. Looking down at it, she turned the fire off and lifted a clean ladle to scoop a bit out to be inspected.
    Back to top Go down
    Brooke Astrid
    Brooke Astrid
    Professors
    Professors

PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 10:47 pm

As she was speaking, she couldn't help but notice the surprise on the face of the Professor and internally winced, wondering if she was about to get a telling off. When he picked up a scroll and scribbled something down, her heart sank even more. Was he kicking her out or sending her for detention? Was that even a possibility? But then he began to speak and she smiled a little as he replied, "I see Miss....Walters. I am not asking for perfection. All I ask is that you don't explode my classroom, and try your hardest. Now you're wasting time, go on and try your best and see me after class if anything goes wrong."

Exploding the classroom was, is she were to be honest, not out of the realm of possibilities, but the merely nodded at him. "Yes, sir," she said, turning and moving back to her desk. Seeing him after class was most definitely something she would do, whether or not anything went wrong, because she knew at some point, if not today, she would screw up a potion.

Double checking her instructions, Brooke went over to the cabinet and removed the ingredient she would need, returning to her desk and laying them out neatly. Carefully measuring the water, she poured in exactly a litre into the cauldron and then set the fire on. Opening the container of green dragon blood, she wrinkled her nose as she emptied a ladleful into the water, before stirring it in. The thickness of the liquid made it hard to do so, and she could feel her arm muscles complaining, still aching and tired from her first Auror class.

Turning away, she focused on the third step, carefully pressing each firefly to ensure it was properly crushed before grabbing the jar of honey and frowning. How was she supposed to put just a drop of the thick substance? Grabbing a nearby metal rod - that she didn't even know why it was there - she dipped it into the jar and held the honey-covered rod over the powder in the bowl. A tiny pop caught her attention and she glanced towards her cauldron, but it hadn't originated from there and she smiled in relief.

Only then did she realize her honey had been dripping and quickly she pulled away the stick, glad to see that it didn't seem as though more than a drop had been added. Next was the peppermint, which didn't cause a problem because there was a dropper. Checking the fourth instruction, she frowned again. Her mixture was not a paste. Maybe she was to mix it? Wiping the honey off the metal rod, she gave the powder thing a stir, smiling as it thickened into what could be considered as a paste.

It was then that a bubbling noise caught her attention and she quickly emptied the bowl into the cauldron, stirring it a few times. Increasing the heat, she sighed in relief; everything seemed to be going good so far, and she was just about to start the ectoplasm removal when she felt a tiny drop of liquid hit her face.

"Wha-" she started, turning back to the cauldron. It was bubbling at a rate she didn't think it should be doing. It was then she remembered she was supposed to cover it and grabbed the lid. Brooke was just lowering it when a loud bang erupted and the entire content of her cauldron splattered themselves over her, and the area surrounding her.

Dropping the cover in surprise, she winced, not hurt, but thoroughly embarrassed. As she stood there, covered in the blueish-greenish thick goop that she was quite sure was supposed to be more watery, her eyes widened and she turned very slowly to look at Professor Holmes. Unable to maintain eye contact, she turned away, slipping out her wand and pointing it at herself. "Tergeo," she muttered, feeling the liquid start to clean itself up, and her vision was no longer half blocked by, well, turquoise slime. "Skurge," she added, moving the tip of her wand to point towards the desk. Continuing to mutter cleaning spells under her breath, not daring to look around, Brooke focused on her wand alone. She was quite, quite sure if she did, and their faces showed judgement, she would burst into tears; already she was doing her best to keep them back, feeling completely humiliated.
    Back to top Go down

Mycroft Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 11:19 pm

It seemed that some started quicker than others when it came to their potions and he appreciated it. Tess was one of the first ones to begin and he wasn't surprised; it was a shame she didn't get into his major, but either way so long as she succeeded that's all he expected. Next came a surprise in the form of Miss Walters, it seemed she was unsure of her potion-work. Actually, no, she was most definitely not looking forward to brewing whatsoever. He tried to be as helpful as possible, telling her to simply try her best. He was honest; he didn't expect for perfection, except from a few, but he did expect people to not make a mess. He hated messes, found them tedious and stressed him.

He was working on some paperwork, adding comments on each one who talked, that is until he heard a disturbance. Lifting his gaze from his work, he looked in shock as the bubbling began to rise from just Miss Walters. Immediately putting his things down he ran over only to avoid the explosion on his suit, but it did land on his shoes. His favorite shoes. Closing his eyes he took a deep breath to calm his own anger. He could tell she was embarrassed, he felt embarrassed for her. But as she began to use cleaning charms, he knew that for this potion, the honey and metal were the problem parts. Wincing slightly at the squelch his shoes made, he walked over to her, noticing that she was probably trying not to cry. Girls tended to cry in embarrassment, even his weird sister.

Bending down, he made eye contact and tried to smile, ignoring the feeling that he wished he could do more. He wasn't happy that there was a mess, but he knew that her embarrassment was horrible enough.

"That's enough cleaning, how about you get your things and head to the Hospital Wing, get you checked out, and cleaned up. You can come in later and we can talk about what you need aid in."
    Back to top Go down
    Arthur Silverstone
    Arthur Silverstone
    Aurors In-Training
    Aurors In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 4:55 am

After some hesitation Arthur started. While he was talented at Potions he wasn't always eager to start because he had a paranoia towards the subject that had started with his father's death and didn't go away as he grew up. He tried to tell himself that as long as he was careful and followed the instructions the professor had given them he'd be alright.

He appreciated the answer Professor Mycroft had given the student but even if the professor didn't expect perfection Arthur expected a lot from himself. Not that he was exactly a perfectionist himself but he put his best into it.

Arthur found and got out his copper cauldron. Next he went to get the ingredients. He measured the water carefully and made sure the cauldron was on low heat. He was careful not to spill anything as he took out a ladleful of blood and added it. Mixing it was the hard part as the coagulated blood made the mixture more dense, the water helped with that somewhat but it still took some effort.

He watched it closely once he got it thinned out. He tried not to look at anyone else's work but it was difficult not to notice how the girl who asked the professor for extra classes was struggling. He might have offered help but he didn't know how she could fix this particular potion and didn't want to risk embarrassing her. If it had been a simpler and more common potion he might have been able to offer some help.

He focused back on his potion, crushing the cup of fireflies in mortar into a fine powder before adding a drop of honey and peppermint. The fourth step was simple enough for him and he soon moved onto the fifth step. Not knowing what exactly he was expected to do with the ectoplasm he put it into a jar after getting it out.

His attention was drawn by his fellow student getting sent to the hospital. He hoped she was going to be okay, Potions was a difficult subject sometimes even if you were good at it.
    Back to top Go down
    Parker Emery
    Parker Emery
    Healer In-Training
    Healer In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Parker kept his eyes focused down on his desk, picking at the tip of his quill as the professor scolded him and the rest of the last-arriving students. He figured he should at least be thankful they were allowed to come late even this first time - after all, this wasn't Hogwarts anymore, they needed to be more responsible. Professors weren't going to keep treating them like kids.

As the professor began writing down all of the instructions, Parker jotted down a more brief, simple version of them so he wouldn't have to keep looking up at the board as he was working.

1. copper cauldron, 1L water & 1 ladle coagulated green dragon blood, low heat.
    2. mix well, thinning out the blood, let simmer.
    3. cup of fireflies (finely powdered), 1 drop of honey and peppermint.
    4. boil, put crushed items/paste in cauldron,  mix well. high heat & cover.
    5. ladle of ectoplasm, mix well.

Other people started working on their brews almost right away, but Parker took a bit of extra time to make sure he had all his supplies gathered first, even skimming through parts of the textbook about the ingredients to be used so he had a better idea of what he was working with. When grabbing the cauldrons below and putting them onto the table, he accidentally bumped Pyxis but apologized promptly before continuing on with the rest of the brew. Though they had been in the same year in Slytherin, Parker didn't know her all that well (to be fair he was hardly close with any slytherins, especially those in his year).

Parker was always very attentive to precision in measuring out ingredients, even when it wasn't completely necessary. He started by making the thick, smelly water-blood mixture. With a bit of time to heat up to simmering temperature, it thinned out without much issue. During the time it took to reach boiling temperature, Parker turned his attention to crushing the fireflies into a fine powder, followed by drops of honey and peppermint.

The mix in the cauldron began to bubble, indicating that he add in what he just finished making with the powder. It dissolved rather quickly and improved the smell, but only slightly. Right after he set the heat higher and covered the cauldron, Brooke's brew literally blew up. He wanted to help out but she and the professor seemed to have it under enough control. The loud noise it made left him feeling a bit shaken, but he tried to stay focused on finishing the first part of the experiment. He was worried about the ectoplasm, but putting on the new potioneering gloves he bought from diagon alley helped ease that concern. Once his hands weren't shaking as much he very carefully transported the goop to the cauldron, recovering it with the lid when he was done. What he had thus far didn't seem very good, probably very far from the ideal, but it didn't seem all that awful either. Maybe he'd be able to make up for it in the next part...
    Back to top Go down

Elspeth Armstrong

PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 10:18 pm

Elspeth had zoned out for a few seconds, but she shook herself from her daydream just in time to hear the professor scold the latecomers. She turned her attention to the board, carefully reading the instructions before pulling out the cauldron from underneath her desk. She made sure that she had all of the required ingredients, and then began the first step. She put her cauldron on low heat, added the liter of water, and ladled the dragon blood in. She mixed until it thinned out; the texture wasn't exactly the one she desired, but it was close enough. She pursed her lips and let it simmer, turning her attention to the cup of fireflies. She crushed it into a fine powder and added a drop of honey and peppermint.

By then, the cauldron began to boil, and Elspeth added the paste to it. After mixing it well, she put the cauldron on high heat and placed a cover on it. She nervously eyed the ectoplasm; she had never used it before, and had no idea how to handle it. But she was jolted from her thoughts when a loud bang filled the room. She swiveled around and saw a redheaded girl covered in slime, refusing to make eye contact as she muttered cleaning spells. Out of (bad) habit, harsh words sprung to Elspeth's mind, and she had an uncontrollable urge to say them out loud. But she bit her tongue and focused on the jar of ectoplasm in front of her.

Putting her gloves on, she carefully opened the jar and slowly scooped out some ectoplasm. She read the instructions again, but found nothing else written on the last step that would specify what they were to do to the glob. She decided to transfer it to a separate jar and, after hesitating for a bit, walked to where the professor was.

"'Scuse me, sir, but what are we supposed to do to the ectoplasm? The instructions weren't very clear," Elspeth asked quietly, just loud enough to hear.
    Back to top Go down
    Amerix Skye
    Amerix Skye
    Aurors In-Training
    Aurors In-Training

PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 28, 2014 1:17 am

Amerix hurried through the hallway heading towards the dungeons. She was late for her potions class. Terribly late. It wasn't entirely her fault though. There were problems with the administration that caused her to arrive late and by the time she had settled her things in her dorm, she realised she was supposed to be in the mandatory potions class. At least she had a permission slip from the headmaster. She hoped with all her heart that the professor wouldn't be too upset with her. The last thing she needed was to get on the wrong side of the professor.

As she entered the dungeons she met a red headed girl with some gooey turquoise slime on her clothing. Stopping her, Amerix asked for directions to the classroom, not wanting to get lost and make her even later. The girl gave her directions and Amerix thanked her before heading to the classroom.

Standing before the door, she knocked lightly then slipped in her eyes darting around to find the professor. The whole class looked like they were in the middle of making a potion. She spotted him standing beside a desk without a student. Turquoise slime, same as the one on the girl who gave her directions, was dotted on the desk and she noticed some on his shoes. It was obvious the girl made the potion wrongly. Amerix herself wasn't good at potions either.

She greeted the professor and apologised for being late as she held out the permission slip. Her heart pounded loudly in anticipation and nervousness.

[OOC: Permission to GM Brooke]

Back to top Go down

Mycroft Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 8:03 pm

Mycroft was done with this class, he just wanted to clean up, kick everyone out and just have alone time. But this wasn't how life worked; this was not how teaching worked and he needed to realize that. Taking a deep breath, he tried to keep himself together. Putting his hands together, he ignored the squelching noise of his shoes as thee were questions to be answered.

It astounded him how some students didn't even bother to be concerned of the incident, but either way he took in a question with much frustration. Looking over at the young lady he wondered if she realized that it seemed pretty clear to him. 'Just because it is clear to you, doesn't mean it's clear for everyone'. So he swallowed his annoyance and became a real professor.

"Miss Armstrong, ladle in the ectoplasm into your cauldron and mix it well as directed"

As soon as he finished this, he realized that another person had come in late. He was about to start ranting when he noticed she had a note. Looking at her note he read it and nodded accepting her late attendance but the bell had gone against her. Sighing he bent down and looked right at her.

"Now Miss Skye, I'm sorry that you're late for the practical portion of lesson. But you should come later for a catch up lesson." Looking at everyone he cleared his throat, "Finish up your potion, put your name on it and put it on my desk. You will receive your grade for this lesson within a week. Class Dismissed."
    Back to top Go down

Mycroft Holmes

PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 9:38 pm

From The Stationary of Mycroft Holmes

I know that this is the first lesson so I have graded you kindly because of it. I have high expectations for each and every one of you will be able to improve considerably in my classroom. Since this is a general class, I am not being a harsh critique. In my class I have graded you based on your potential (the effort you make, and/or what you say/show), and practical, meaning your actual potion. Overall is the grade that will be sent to your transcripts. If you wish to improve your grade, send me an owl.

-Mycroft Holmes.

Armstrong, Elspeth: Miss Elspeth, I am glad to see your enthusiasm for doing practicum work. It’s acceptable to see your work and looking at your potion it’s nothing special, but it is acceptable. I hope that next time you pay close attention to directions and take initiative for speaking up in my class.

• Potential Grade: Exceeds Expectations
    • Practical Grade: Acceptable
    • Overall Grade: Exceeds Expectations

Bailey, Conner: Mr. Bailey, you did not talk in my class, and your potions work…is to say barely-acceptable. I think you need to try a lot harder in my class. Maybe it’s the fact that you do not like my subject, maybe it’s because you find it challenging, but nonetheless you need to try harder. I expect a lot more.

• Potential Grade: Acceptable
    • Practical Grade: Barely-Acceptable
    • Overall Grade: Acceptable

Emery, Parker: Mr. Emery, you are a quiet soul, that much is obvious. It seems you might be on the quiet side, but your potion was more than I expected and I respect that. I suggest being on time in my class, so you get graded better. I do not like late attendance and I hope you remember that.

• Potential Grade: Oustanding
    • Practical Grade: Exceeds Expectations
    • Overall Grade: Above-Exceeds Expectations (Would have gotten a higher grade had you not been late.)

Holmes, Tess: Miss Holmes, you are too cocky in your work and I don’t like it. I know that you have a hand at potions and speak up when asked, but give opportunity to other students. Your potion was potent and I admire that, next time show more respect, for you will not receive a kinder response the next time.

• Practical Grade: Outstanding
    • Overall: Exceeds Expectations

Kael, Rhian: Miss Kael, I do not take someone being late kindly, in fact I take it personal. I expect you to try harder in my lesson, speak up, and show your potential that way. I don’t want you to barely pass on the radar. Your potion was potent, but then again, I don’t know what to make of you from it.

• Practical Grade:Acceptable
      • Overall grade: Acceptable

Lovegood,Melody: Miss Lovegood, you are a quiet one, but one that works hard. Your potion was acceptable, but I want you to speak up. I cannot see you standing out in a large class, make sure you show me your heart next lesson, especially since your major is potions. Good job, but I hope for better.

Malfoy, Alcyone: You are a seasoned veteran Miss Malfoy and I have heard a lot of good things about you. Yet you did not speak up. I cannot help but wonder if it was because you were surrounded by younger years and wanted to give an opportunity or you did not care. Either way, I expect you to do better, much better. I have high expectations.Yet your potion was potent.

Malfoy, Caelum: Mr. Malfoy, you did not speak u in my class, and you are an upper-classman. I would suggest you pay attention to what I am teaching you in my class and show respect. Overall your potion was good, but I expect a veteran to speak up, even if this is not your subject.

Parker, Aqua: Miss Parker you are a quiet individual, barely spoke up, but I saw you trying your hardest out there. I hope to see you try and improve next time.

Sandoval, Janique: Miss Sandoval, I do not appreciate your attitude. I appreciate you being on time, but being there and actually checking in is another thing. Your body was there but your mind wasn’t. I expect better from you for next lesson..

• Potential Grade: Dreadful

Semele, Thana: Miss Semele, you were a highlight in my class. You were on time, and you stood out with your nearly flawless answer. I admire that; your potion was potent but I suggest you take your time and not be so rushed. A potion is an art form and I can only hope you try harder next time, but give opportunity to others.

• Potential Grade: Outstanding
    • Practical Grade: Exceeds Expectations
    • Overall grade: Exceeds Expectations

Silverstone, Arthur: Mr. Silverstone you are also very quiet. I do not know if it is the fact that it is a large classroom, or the fact you are not well versed in this subject. Either way, I expect you to do better in the next lesson.

Simple, Jaycie: Miss Simple, I heard good things about you from the previous professor, but I failed to see these qualities in this lesson. I do not know why, but I expect a lot more from you. Please do so next lesson, for your potion was more than acceptable.

Skye, Amerix: Miss Amerix, you were late and we shall make up for it in a next lesson.

• Potential Grade: TBD
    • Practical Grade: TBD
    • Overall grade: TBD

Trapani, Adriano: Mr. Trapani, you were very quiet in my class; I noticed a quiet disposition, but I expect you to do better in my class. Please make an effort to shine, even if it means just showing you care. I expect more next lesson.

Walters, Brooke What can I say about you Miss Walters, it’s clear from the beginning that you are unsure of yourself in potions. From your comments and your answers, but I think that you put yourself down and limit yourself from actually achieving your potions. As said before I will want a make up meeting for that…situation that occurred in my classroom. I hope that never happens again.

• Potential Grade: Above-Acceptable
    • Practical Grade: Troll
    • Overall grade: Dreadful/Poor (but has chance to improve)

Watson, Benjamin: Mr. Watson you were late and that is unacceptable. Being of this major I expect you to speak up and show your need to learn in this classroom. Your potion was outstanding, very potent and I see you have a talent for it. But I expect your mood to better and never be late again.

• Potential Grade: Exceeds Expectations
    • Practical Grade: Outstanding
    • Overall grade: Outstanding  

Wilde, Ariel: Miss Wilde, you are a quiet soul, and I understand that, but I am saddened to see your participation being limited. Your potion work was good, but that is all I can see, I wish to see you stand out more, and I hope you can next lesson.

Williams, Humphrey: Mr. Williams you, like many, did not stand out in my classroom. I expect you to show effort in the next lesson and I hope your potions work will improve as well.

Wilson, Pyxis: Miss Wilson, you are also a quiet person, and I hate to say that I expect more from a person that is a potions major. I hope that next lesson you show your potential, especially since you were late in my lesson. Hope that doesn’t happen again.

• Overall grade:  Acceptable  

Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1    Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Healing Potions: General Education - Lesson 1

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
    Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2